Searching for Actions

Is there any way to search for a particular action on a page (or, at least, within a title)? I'm working with an .awo created by someone else and there seems to be a "move to" action happening on the page, but I can't seem find it anywhere! The page is chock full of actions, though, so it would be nice if there were a way to search for it, other than by visually scanning everything...

Discussion (7)

Thanks for taking the time to reply, but I'm not looking for an "error." It's not doing anything programmatically "wrong," it just doesn't *look* the way I want it to.

The search feature only goes through Title Contents, Notes, Object Names, and Object Descriptions. If you know what resource is being moved you could search for it and find what page the action is on. Otherwise the resource manager can help you locate it as well.

As far as finding a specific search that looks for actions to my knowledge it's not currently in the product. If you could, head on over to the Lectora Suggestions thread (http://community.trivantis.com/forums/forum/lectora-2/suggestions-for-lectora/) and up vote an existing post or start a new one describing what you want to see. That way it get's in front of developers.

It's always a good practice to retitle your actions to make sure they are understandable by other developers. I usually rename each action to include all or part of the Trigger and Target name since it provides the most value in limited character count.

I think I understand your questions - When you go to Publish your course, if the error shows up in blue or red, click on that and it should take you to the error.

Thanks, Jennifer! Two minutes before you posted this, I discovered (thanks to being able to download the manual as a PDF and search for "search") that the search feature does search objects, not just text, which I don't think I knew! Unfortunately, it didn't find anything with "move" in it on that page. (I always retitle my actions to make them understandable, and, although I wasn't the one who created the page I'm having the problem with, that person did a good job labeling things, too.)

I'm completely mystified as to why this one object is moving to a different Y position when resized than another, identically sized object that starts at the same position and is resized to the same size as the first one. It's driving me batty! I can compensate for that by starting the misbehaving object at a different Y position, but it kind of spoils the animation effect.

You can use Notepad++ or similar editor to dig through the AWT file directly. Find the object (using its html name), get its ID, then see what actions target that ID.

It is a shame that the original developer did not organize/name things well or have a better storyboard for you. I think this is a good lesson for everyone in doing the work up front so changes can be done rather quickly and by anyone.

It saves me time in the long run especially when I have several projects going on at once.

Thanks, Sergey! (I read your comment, via email, when you posted it, but just realized I never said "thanks!")

Discussions have been disabled for this post