Solved

No Preview in L21

I just downloaded L21 desktop, and try to test it with one of my titles that was created in L19. I couldn't preview my training though in any mode: Run, Preview, neither in browser. I published it and tried to run it using IE or Chrome and unfortunately it gave me the same blank page. I saved the entire title in a new folder with a new name, but the same result: blank page. Do I miss anything? Thank you.

Solutions (2)

That would actually make things simpler. If there is no advantage, then it would make sense to remove the checkbox to 'enable responsive title', and just make everything responsive-capable, then just uncheck anything you don't want enabled down to just having 'desktop view' enabled. That way users don't have to go to 2 potential places to manage this setting. ; )

@tmichael9734 is it possible you are bringing in an older Standard (non-responsive) course? If so, try this:

Select Project Options from the Design ribbon and select Enable Responsive Project.

Then turn off all RCD views other than the Desktop view.

Let me know if this works.

Discussion (17)

Thank you Adam. I've not tried yet creating a new title. I'll try and will let you know. I thought L21 supports the previous versions too.

@tmichael9734 is it possible you are bringing in an older Standard (non-responsive) course? If so, try this:

Select Project Options from the Design ribbon and select Enable Responsive Project.

Then turn off all RCD views other than the Desktop view.

Let me know if this works.

@tmichael9734 have you tried using a lightbox instead of a popup? Lightboxes are accessible in LD21.

Does the same thing happen if you try to create a module from scratch?

Yep! It did resolve the issue, thanks a lot. I've one more question for your Chris. I just received a feedback from our 508 team that pop-up boxes are not compliant. When you use a button to show the pop-up box and then you close it with a Close button, the AT device takes the user all the way back to the beginning of the page. Is this issue resolved in L21?

Thanks a lot,

No, I haven't yet. I'll try and will keep you posted. It may take some time though until the 508 team comes back to me. Thanks a lot for the answer and help.

I'll try to get a stripped-down version of one of our modules to upload - unfortunately, it won't be for a week or so, just to get the OK from the right people. I've double checked other files and even though some of our courses contain some old methods of triggering events, they've always been able to preview. End result is toggling "enable responsive content", will either work with the preview or not - turn it off, it works, turn it on, it doesn't.

Hello, John from eLB Customer Success Team, here. @tmichael9734 @msaunders3127 Would you please upload your v18 or v19 courses to the following link? The full course export ZIP before you opened them in v21. We'd like to investigate this situation further. Thanks!

https://elearningbrothers.sharefile.com/r-r1c713e58c3524a5894b6ea626504590c

Hi John, thank you for your diligence to follow up on our issue. I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to upload our files to external partners. Please accept my apologies.

Thanks for highlighting this (and Chris for helping) - I was having exactly the same problem - I'm trying to move away from v18 (which honestly feels like the last stable version of lectora, 19 seems like a crash fest), this initial problem/glitch almost made me run back to 18.

@chris_willis - would you recommend this process going forward in general (just use RCD, and turn off everything but desktop view) vs NOT enabling responsive title? (Does this provide the most flexibility or are there any advantages to not enabling responsive title if not planning on using it?)

Chris and John, here's another issue with the L21 preview. I've a new title that I created earlier in L19, when I moved it to L21, I couldn't preview it unless I select "enable responsive content". However, I don't want to enable responsive content because we've a customized page size. So I'm cornered now, if I want our custom size, I cannot preview the title, and if I opt the responsive content, it doesn't match our custom size. What do you suggest me to do? Thanks!

That would actually make things simpler. If there is no advantage, then it would make sense to remove the checkbox to 'enable responsive title', and just make everything responsive-capable, then just uncheck anything you don't want enabled down to just having 'desktop view' enabled. That way users don't have to go to 2 potential places to manage this setting. ; )

@cainam -- RCD is now the expected state for Lectora content. Enabling RCD brings your project more in line with current technology and may help make it more compatible moving forward. My personal, unofficial recommendation would be to enable RCD any time you open an older project in the latest version of Lectora. Make any adjustments or content updates and save the new version, notating the save date and authoring tool version in the project folder and/or file name for future reference.

Moving forward, I question whether we should disable the option to create a non-responsive title. Turning off the responsive views effectively does the same thing while preserving the option to enable other views in the future. I'd love to hear your thoughts on that.

we are working on a maintenance release that will make this step unnecessary.

In the meantime, you should be able to set a custom page size with RCD enabled. To prevent your page from resizing automatically, make sure you toggle the tablet and mobile views OFF, leaving only the desktop view enabled.

Have you tried opening a new L21 title, then copy/paste content from your L19 to see if that helps? (Do you still have L19 installed, or did you remove when you installed L21?)

Yes, this is actually what I did: opened a new title, then copy/paste in L21. I still have L19 because we're still testing L21.