Page/Table of Contents Variables

Is there any way to read/utilize the page status variables used in the Table of Contents? I am looking for a way to verify a student has viewed all pages in a course (at least those visible in a Table of Contents) without:

1. Creating a variable for each page.
  2. Restricting student progression by preventing them from using the Table of Contents.

Essentially, I would like students to be able navigate freely throughout a course, but not change the course status to completed until they have viewed all pages. Currently, a completion action is placed on the last page of the course, but this doesn't necessarily mean the student has viewed all the course content. I can lock down progression by forcing students to view each page in a linear format, but this is not ideal.

undefined

Any suggestions?

Discussion (6)

The table of contents uses the same variables as the status tracking variable when the option to track progress is enabled. It sounds like your best implementation would be using status indicator objects.

http://community.trivantis.com/knowledge-base/status-indicator-objects/

Could you possibly provide some more information? I understand I can use the status indicators to visually represent which pages the student has viewed (and this is very helpful for them), but I'm looking for a way to communicate that information back as a variable. I can use status indicators to display to the student which pages he/she has not completed, but how can I add a condition to check against this?

You'd have to keep track of some type of variable. There isn't one associated to the status indicator since it's just an image swap.....You could use a progress bar. You'd still have to set up the steps but then you'd be able to use the variable to track if they've completed the course. I decided to make a quick example to see if it's as much as making a variable for the course and it's about the same amount of effort with the added benefit of a visual on screen.

Lectora creates a variable for each page. I don't exactly know how the system is set up, but how else could it remember which pages have been "completed", i.e. which image to show in the status indicator? These variables are modified by using a "Set completion status" action. The value of these variables can be used in any action as conditions, e.g.

On: Page show

Action: Modify variable

Target: AICC_Lesson_Status

Type: Set equal to

Value: completed

Condition: Only if

"Page 1" "is completed"

"Page 2" "is completed"

I've attached a screenshot of how to access the "page status"-section of the conditions panel.

Tim

pagestatus.jpg

Thanks, Tim/Jennifer. This would definitely accomplish what I'm looking to do, but it does require adding a condition for each page. I would love to read this information directly from the Table of Contents, but this would work for the time being.

Lectora tracks the completion of sections, chapters and titles automatically: as soon as ALL pages within a section or chapter have been visited, the section/chapter is regarded as completed too. Therefore it is easy to create a condition which tracks the completion of sections / chapters or the whole title.

To track the completion of a chapter, just add ONE action on the level of the chapter:

Target: _Chapter_Completed

Condition: Only if: Variable = "This Chapter" - Condition = "Is Completed"

If your learners should visit ALL pages of your title, add ONE action on the title or OU level:

Target: AICC_Lesson_Status

Condition: Only if: Variable = "undefined

Discussions have been disabled for this post