Gradient Fill Options

It would be nice if the gradient fill for shapes could be assigned a numerical value. When you create a shape with a gradient fill and you change the size of the shape, the gradient grows with it. I would like to be able to take a shape with a gradient fill (0% color A, 5% color B, 10% color C), then resize it and keep the gradient at the same settings. Currently, if you enlarge the shape, the gradient increases with the size.

Discussion (5)

Thanks for the suggestion @clammers!

Isn't this how it already works? When you re-size a shape that has a gradient applied the size of the shape changes but the ratio of colors in the gradient stays the same. Do you want the percentages to change? Can you attach a picture of a before and after showing what you would like to happen?

Let me start by saying, I realize this is a niche request. But, in the very least, it would be nice to see a numerical/percentage representation of the stops in the Gradient pop-up box. If I want to do this today, I have to guess the values.

Currently, the percentages increase to reflect the new size. So, if I create a shape that is 100x100 with gradients at 0%, 5%, and 10%, the color changes will happen at 5px and 10px. If I copy and stretch that shape to 500X500, the color changes will happen at 25px and 50px. What I would like is to be able to change the size of the shape, but keep the gradient the same (not relative). See the attached images.

undefined

CF.pngDF.png

Ahh, thank you for clarifying. I get it now. Is this just for when you are authoring of do you need to be able to drag the published shape out and keep the gradient?

If it's just for authoring, then I suggest you consider adding a custom div and then filling it with a gradient using CSS. You can visit Colorzilla for an awesome gradient generator that will do all the heavy lifting for you. Keep in mind that this still will not let you change the shape size and dynamically keep the gradient that same; you'll have to go back to Colorzilla give the shape the right size and re-do the gradient. This is the only way I can figure to even give you the type of gradient your looking for but it does work good.

If you want me to provide a sample or walk you through setting it up, let me know.

Thanks, Darrel. I can work around for the time-being, and I appreciate your suggestion, but I think the best solution for this (and other situations) would be to be able to adjust the gradient numerically rather than using the meter.

Discussions have been disabled for this post