File Recovery After Unsaved Work Option

By this stage in my career I should be flogged for making a mistake like this. It's actually a series of bad practices leading up to a gut wrenching possibility. Instead of starting fresh, I initiated a new title over an old template. The problem is the template was mistakenly the source file for a course already published. When the option of get unsaved work was selected it erased the previous title.

I did a system restore to two days prior to this happening. The Lectora file was not affected. I thought all file return to their states the time the system save point was created.

Is the file gone forever?

Discussion (1)

So you opened the master template and didn't do a save as and overwrote the template? Probably all of us have done that one, ONCE. Getting it back is doubtful at best. If you are on a windows machine you can try to right click what used to be the master template file in windows explorer and choose 'restore previous versions', however, I don't think you'll have success there. Another possible option is file recovery software but even that won't work depending on how the overwrite was handled. Some applications create a temporary file out of the original and when the new one is saved with a different name the original is deleted.

How much did you alter the master? Worse case scenario, you'll have to re-build the master template using the one you saved on top of it as a start.

Undelete software may be your best bet.

undefined

Discussions have been disabled for this post