Solved

Order lists ARE NOT WORKING in Lectora Desktop

I have a textbox full of bullet points. In run mode or preview mode the text of all the bullets disappear, and that bullet is not even at the top of the text box. I can sometimesget the bullets to show if I set my line spacing to single, but that makes my text too crowded. How does one use ordered lists in this monstrosity of a program?

Solutions (2)

@Bdmontag are you by any chance bringing in a course from Lectora Online into Lectora Desktop?

What I regularly do to remove text formatting is to select all the text in a textfield, i.e. all but the first character, then [Ctrl] + [x] and immediately [Ctrl] + [Shift] + [v]. The text will be repasted without format and through this it will take over the format of that first character.

Discussion (9)

Just a suggestion: people can help you more if you give more information, say the version of Lectora you use. Also, screenshots showing what happens can be useful, or even uploading a sample course containing just the page with your textbox.

@Bdmontag, I understand your frustration! Whenever you copy or move HTML text, you run the risk of carrying over hidden tags that create all kinds of frustrating formatting issues. This happens when moving from Lectora Online to Lectora Desktop as well. Unfortunately, there is no automagical way to correct this, although I can offer a couple of methods to help make your experience a little less frustrating.

If the bullets were originally applied in Lectora Online using in-tool bullet formatting, you could try clicking on the Bullets icon to undo bullets to undo, then reapply the bullets. You can also use the view formatting option to look for any hidden formatting.

This second method will be familiar to anyone who works with HTML and is (pardon the pun) bulletproof.

Select your text and use CTRL+C to copy, then CTRL+V to paste into a plain text editor like Windows Notepad. This will strip all formatting. Reverse the process to paste the clean text back into the text block in Lectora, then re-apply formatting using in-tool styles and bullets.

If it's any consolation, I started my own career as a desktop publisher and typographer, and I feel your pain whenever I format anything for web viewing. There's a constant tension between productivity and design control.

A lot of the folks here on the forum have burned many hours doing what you're doing right now due to tool conversions, upgrades, browser changes, or re-integration following localization. If you run into any other issues, don't hesitate to post.

@Bdmontag are you by any chance bringing in a course from Lectora Online into Lectora Desktop?

Thanks. I have tried all things mentioned except for looking at the view formatting. The only thing that keeps the bullets is to make line spacing "Single". In some cases that makes for crowded type, but I will learn to live with it.

Yes. I am bringing a .pkg in from Lectora Online to Lectora 19.

What I regularly do to remove text formatting is to select all the text in a textfield, i.e. all but the first character, then [Ctrl] + [x] and immediately [Ctrl] + [Shift] + [v]. The text will be repasted without format and through this it will take over the format of that first character.

Thanks. I think the web window option would be rejected in our production process.

If I remember right, at one point years ago I got so frustrated I made my own text box in HTML with my own formatting and used the Web Window feature to include it in Lectora.