Solved

Why is publish showing "There is a Hide action on this page with an invalid destination?"

I can see no errant Hide actions on these pages. Some of the pages have no actions whatsoever. The only one I found was an action tied to a disinherited button. Is there a way to get a more detailed message out of Lectora?

I am using Lectora 19.

Solution

The original file must be corrupted on some level where it is faster just to copy and paste pages into a new file.

AWT files are just XML. I have in the past had this exact issue, and I just edited the AWT file with Notepad and searched for "hide", found the action, and removed it. (Of course, I backed up the AWT first.)

Discussion (9)

If all of the pages are fine individually, then it is likely an inherited action at the chapter or title level.

Maybe, but those items at the title level are the first things I brought over to the new file. Thanks.

I rebuilt one of the pages from scratch. It does not even have a Hide action. On publish that page still gets an error.

So you are scrolling through the results and looking for any red text, then clicking on it to take you to the spot that needs to be fixed? It may be something that is inherited to the page? If you don't mind sharing the file, I'm sure someone can help you identify the issue.

What action is executing on that page that is inherited from the chapter or entire unit? Do you have a button that is disinherited on the page, but the action that is calling on that button is not disinherited?

Thanks. I'd have to get permissions to share a file in an open forum. I think I will just rebuild the actions on those pages and see if that eliminates the issue.

There are show actions with conditions in some places, reset question actions, and setstate actions. There was one case which you spelled out, hiding a disinherited button, but I caught that.

I am bringing over my pages into a blank template and publishing every few pages and so far no problem. The original file must be corrupted on some level where it is faster just to copy and paste pages into a new file. Just have to double check that all the targets in actions are accounted for.

The original file must be corrupted on some level where it is faster just to copy and paste pages into a new file.

AWT files are just XML. I have in the past had this exact issue, and I just edited the AWT file with Notepad and searched for "hide", found the action, and removed it. (Of course, I backed up the AWT first.)

Car Fink, I wish I thought of that. Good to know for the future.