Opacity for 3D models

I'm gathering that it is programmatically difficult to render 3D models transparently in WebGL. (I know nothing about your underlying technologies, so forgive me if that's illiterate.) Am I correct that this is why CVR currently doesn't have that option, and that setting a group containing models to 50% opacity has no effect?

undefined

By the way, suggestion: separate out the searches in these forums. If I search for "opacity" now, I get Lectora results, which just aren't relevant.

Discussion (7)

Data point: I just submitted a bug via your ticketing system. A 3D cylinder is set to transparent, but is perfectly visible in the Oculus app. This is the 3D cylinder model that's in your media library.

There's some sort of bug in the ticketing system itself. It automatically detects (incorrectly) that I have opted out of email communications, and provides a link to turn them back on ... but the link is null and does nothing.

If I do ever get email from your ticketing system, I'll add to the report that a PNG-based hotspot that's (properly, visibly) there in the browser client is not shown and not active in the Oculus app. So the app shows the unwanted transparent hotspot, but does not show the desired perfectly visible hotspot.

The "pointer passes over the hotspot chirp" is also silent in this scenario. No, I did not turn it off.

Sorry, was perhaps mangling the terminology. I meant the transparency setting in CVR, not built-in attributes of the model.

Opacity would be "baked into" the model itself, rather than something that would be added to it after the fact.

I think there is some confusion on terminology here. 3D objects do not have an opacity effect. If you want opacity, it should be baked into the 3D object itself.

Transparent hotspots should have NO resource associated with them. If you desire a transparent hotspot, do not give it a resource, and it will be transparent.

Transparent hotspots should have NO resource associated with them. If you desire a transparent hotspot, do not give it a resource, and it will be transparent.

Wow, I wish I had known that! That would have saved me a huge amount of time. Thank you. (Now I have to experiment--what shape would it be?)

I'm still puzzled about why hotspots can't have text, mind you ....

Edit the hotspot, go to effects, turn on tooltip and then the name of the hotspot is displayed as text above the hotspot. You can't change the font colour, background colour or position though.

Certainly, Hugh, but I wanted people to be able to click (tap, trigger, gaze) on text. The only current way to do that would be to cover an info card with an invisible hotspot, or create a 3D model or 2D image of text.

Now that I have done more work with gaze-to-select I realize why this is a bad idea if Google Cardboard is one of your delivery targets.

Discussions have been disabled for this post