Lectora - Vertical Scrolling with Multiple Pages - Hide and Show A Page

Still working through Vertical Scrolling with multiple pages.

This time I have two page with Advanced Content which I only want learners to be able to access once they have completed the module.

This would mean that the two pages would only show on the menu (ToC) and as pages once the Learner completed the course.

Menu

Lesson 1

Hidden Lesson A

Hidden Lesson B

Lesson 2

How would I go about doing this?

Discussion (24)

Got it. Remember there is a "debug" option for running your project that shows the sequence of actions that are running.

You can always open an issue with Customer Solutions, they will give you a link to upload your project and they are really good at finding issues.

https://knowledgebase.elblearning.com/submit-a-case-to-customer-solutions

Your package works. My project doesn't.

A colleague was able to start trouble shooting with me yesterday. Today we will be going through the menu and the last page to ensure that no actions are in conflict.

After that we will have exhausted every option we can think of.

thank you.

. Though I get what you are doing and USED built-in "Page Tracking Status variables" it is still not working for me. EVERYTHING shows (Instructions and Hidden buttons) in run, preview and preview in browser, reviewlink in Edge.

Note - like your example nothing was initially hidden, relying on the actions to show and hide.

I will wait for my colleague to have time to review this and see where I am going wrong. In the meantime I will test in Chrome.

I am also wondering if Lectora Online menu (which you created your menu) and Lectora Desktop (which I am using) function differently in this situation of menu hide and show content. Just a pondering.

we (in all honesty my colleague) were able to make it work.

What you sent about the transition was partly what we used.

For a detailed explanation see the attachment.

THANK YOU for your persistence.

Hi @

LisaB2022

Well great job that's looking very good.

I think I understand your solution. It looks like the actions in screen (2) and screen (3) should hide the instructions and show the advanced content menu items, is that not working?

1 - Nested group (a group within a group) sometimes those cause problems.

You can get rid of the "G Show when module completed" group, and add:

B Advanced Content button add the action On Show - Show - B Updates

B Advanced Content button add the action On Hide - Hide - B Updates

Then you can hide and show the B Advanced Content button to control showing of those menu items.

2 - Showing the Advanced Content and Update items and hiding the instructions on the last next button works, but on return to the course those items will likely be hidden again.

You might run those actions whenever the menu is displayed.

Also make sure that the ModuleCompleted and your progress Variables are set to Retain value between sessions in the Variable Manager.

I didn't really understand where the problem is related to "Now I need help to get the “Extra Content” to show and to hide the “Instructions” as it looks like you do that in screen (2) and (3).

Hopefully some of my comments make sense and are helpful. Nice job, I like the looks of that menu and good job with the actions.

I tried what you suggested. Though there is a possibility I am doing something wrong. It is not working.

I believe that what is causing the problem is that once the text or shape is in the custom menu which toggles to show/ hide it is not allowing the shape or text block to initially hide and show.

Admittedly, I know very little about Lectora and could be wrong. I am just trying to think logically about the challenge, and this is the only thing I can think of.

For reference I adapted the Menu - Minimus Moonlight within the Minus template.

I removed the group within the group and reduced from 5 elements to only the instructions to keep things simple.

Thanks for instructions

I was able to get this working, but it is using the Transition Out for the group (menu) which is a little quirky but it should give you an idea. See attached example

Note that I used the "built-in" Page Tracking Status variables to determine if Chapter 1, Chapter 2, and Chapter 3 were completed. Chapters are marked complete when all pages in a Chapter are completed.

To keep a page from becoming completed when it is viewed, do an On Show -> Set Tracking Status -> In Progress then when you want to complete the page do a Set Tracking Status -> Completed action.

When I originally posted my question, while waiting for a response this is what I worked out.

I really hope you can follow my thinking. There are two parts.

------------

Summary

I believe I have a solution to how to show hidden lessons on a custom menu. (Below)

Now I need help to get the “Extra Content” to show and to hide the “Instructions” when the next button on the last module page is clicked (Below)

------------

This is what I have created. Let me know if there is more information you require:

Create a TOC “Show” Section to Show Lessons at top of TOC

Icon border changes colour (not shown in pics below)

White = Lesson not started.

Orange = First video accessed.

Blue = Final video accessed.

Create a TOC “Hidden” Section to Show “Basic Training Updates” and “Advanced Content” when the module moves to completion.

These hidden sections (Pages/ Slides) would be at the end of the module and ONLY accessible through the menu.

However, these two pages would have navigation to access:

Advanced Content

Basic Training Updates

Last page viewed e.g. if learner reviewing content after completion and then wanting to view Advanced Content”)

Menu - The module is considered complete when the first and last video for every lesson (1 – 6) is selected. Then the Text instructions “ Advanced Content … Menu ONLY.” Would hide and the two Shape fields (converted to buttons) with links to content would show each page.

See pics below:

ToC – Module NOT complete

ToC - Module Completed

Everything worked, except I could not get the show/ hide to transition:

Text Box: “Advanced Content … Menu ONLY.” (first image above)

TO

Group: G Show when module completed (second image above)

As of this morning still not working.

Summary

I believe I have a solution to how to show hidden lessons on a custom menu.

Now I need help to get the “Extra Content” to show and to hide the “Instructions”

This is what I have created. Let me know if there is more information you require:

Under Custom Menu

On Last Page when Module = Completed and Next button is selected and Learner goes to Advanced Content

RAG Referenced

Here are the details of the above:

The WARNING referenced above will show on the last page if the course is not completed:

Upon view of last page:

Upon Next button selected and course not completed:

Last Page, Next Button

Here is an example of another way you can conditionally show menu items.

It hides / shows menu options that are in a group based on a condition when the menu item is shown it runs and hides itself if appropriate. Hope this gives you a path to a solution.

(import as a Lectora Online package)

@Wheels I can not get the custom menu items to hide and show properly. I will keep at it.

Hi,

I used Lectora Desktop to create the example.

I exported the example to a Lectora Online Package file so it could be imported to either product.

Does my example work for you? Or is the issue happening only when you try to incorporate the changes into your project?

Hi @

LisaB2022

You could have two TOC objects and conditionally show one or the other based on the completion status of the course.

I think people might be hesitating to answer this because it says scrolling page which may be causing people to over think this. I myself was wondering how I would do the spacing on the scrolling page so that the hidden sections would be inserted after completion of the course. That would take a lot more thought and explanation.

Can you post a simple Lectora Project here that has your TOC and some general instructions on what you are trying to do, then it might be easier for someone to grab that and post an example.

Thanks!

@Wheels so here is the challenge I am facing...

First - I am using Lectora Desktop. If I try your Lectora Online Package will I be able to use it in the desktop. If not, I can not use it as the rest of team is on desktop (though I will try once I solve the desktop challenge).

My challenge

I went to the basics and decided to focus on showing and hiding only the instructions in the menu under the dividing line between Lessons and hidden content "

Upon module completion, Advanced Content, All User Bulletin and Module Updates will show on the menu. These sections will be accessible via this Menu ONLY

."

Once I get this working to move onto showing and hiding the other 4 pieces of hidden content (3 buttons, 1 text instruction) which show when the module completes.

Regardless of if I use a text block or a shape, I am unable to initially hide this [yellow instructions] content.

My thinking for the action, with the instructions initially hidden :

Trigger:

Show

Action and Target:

Show Inst Advanced, All Users, Updates (the yellow text)

IF: (any condition can be true)

v_L1_progress Not Equal to 2

v_L2_progress Not Equal to 2

v_L3_progress Not Equal to 2

v_L4_progress Not Equal to 2

v_L5_progress Not Equal to 2

v_L6_progress Not Equal to 2

[Remember: 0 = Lesson not started, 1 = Lesson Started, 2 = Lesson Completed]

Else Action:

Hide Inst Advanced, All Users, Updates

@Wheels this is exactly where I was trying to go. I will give your example a try and get back to you. thanks again.

When I originally posted my question, while waiting for a response this is what I worked out before today.

I really hope you can follow my thinking.

------------

Summary

I believe I have a solution to how to show hidden lessons on a custom menu. (Below)

Now I need help to get the “Extra Content” to show and to hide the “Instructions” (Below)

------------

Create a TOC “Hidden” Section to Show “Basic Training Updates” and “Advanced Content” when the module moves to completion.

These hidden sections (Pages/ Slides) would be at the end of the module and ONLY accessible through the menu. However, these two pages would have navigation to access:

Advanced Content

Basic Training Updates

Last page viewed e.g. if learner reviewing content after completion and then wanting to view Advanced Content”)

Menu - The module is considered complete when the first and last video for every lesson (1 – 6) is selected. Then the Text instructions “ Advanced Content … Menu ONLY.” Would hide and the two Shape fields (converted to buttons) with links to content would show each page.

See pics below:

ToC - Module Completed

TO

Summary

I believe I have a solution to how to show hidden lessons on a custom menu.

Now I need help to get the “Extra Content” to show and to hide the “Instructions”

Under Custom Menu

On Last Page when Module = Completed and Next button is selected and Learner goes to Advanced Content

RAG Referenced

The WARNING referenced above will show on the last page if the course is not completed:

Upon view of last page:

Last Page, Next Button

sorry for the delay getting back to you. I will work on this today and share.

THANK YOU. I will look at your comments today and get back to you on progress :)

In Desktop go to File -> Import -> Lectora Online Package to get it into desktop

If you still have the group within a group I think that is the problem.

you are doing amazing.

I see the same issue using the template you pointed me too. The actions are there and the conditions are right but the visibility is not changing for me neither. Let me see.

When I originally posted my question, while waiting for a response this is what I worked out before today.

I really hope you can follow my thinking.

------------

Summary

Now I need help to get the “Extra Content” to show and to hide the “Instructions” (Below)

------------

These hidden sections (Pages/ Slides) would be at the end of the module and ONLY accessible through the menu. However, these two pages would have navigation to access:

Advanced Content

Basic Training Updates

See pics below:

ToC - Module Completed

TO

Summary

· I believe I have a solution to how to show hidden lessons on a custom menu.

· Now I need help to get the “Extra Content” to show and to hide the “Instructions”

Under Custom Menu

RAG Referenced

Upon view of last page:

Last Page, Next Button

just started to play. VERY interesting. THANK YOU! Will update later on.

@Wheels THANK YOU. I will review this tomorrow when I am fresh.