Solved

Can I format text in a "Change Contents" action?

Is it possible to format text (specifically, add bullets and bold text) to the text in a change contents action? I saw some solutions with JavaScript, but I would rather avoid that to make it easier for the end user to edit when they have to.

Solutions (4)

Yes, it works in Lectora Online. There are some sequencing / timing issues that were solved by the v21 updates to desktop and those will be coming to Lectora Online soon as well. But showing of initially hidden text blocks do prompt the screen reader to read the text. There can be some issues if you are showing multiple text blocks at the same time, or triggered from on show of a page, those are the fixes that are coming soon.

Text blocks that are initially hidden are read by screen readers when shown. This should work in the latest v19 and v21 releases. What version are you using?

We should allow for rich text in that kind of change contents action, I'm sending this to our Product Team for review. For now the only way to do this is to create another text block with the text you want to display. Then instead of using Change Contents you would hide one text block and show the other text block.

Actually, I went back and looked, it was initially implemented in Lectora Desktop 18.1.1 and should be working if you have that version or above. In v21 there are some updates that improved the sequencing and made it more reliable with all screen readers.

Discussion (7)

Text blocks that are initially hidden are read by screen readers when shown. This should work in the latest v19 and v21 releases. What version are you using?

We should allow for rich text in that kind of change contents action, I'm sending this to our Product Team for review. For now the only way to do this is to create another text block with the text you want to display. Then instead of using Change Contents you would hide one text block and show the other text block.

One more question: Will screen readers read initially hidden text boxes in Lectora Online?

I appreciate your time!

Yes, it works in Lectora Online. There are some sequencing / timing issues that were solved by the v21 updates to desktop and those will be coming to Lectora Online soon as well. But showing of initially hidden text blocks do prompt the screen reader to read the text. There can be some issues if you are showing multiple text blocks at the same time, or triggered from on show of a page, those are the fixes that are coming soon.

Actually, I went back and looked, it was initially implemented in Lectora Desktop 18.1.1 and should be working if you have that version or above. In v21 there are some updates that improved the sequencing and made it more reliable with all screen readers.

Welp, I have Lectora 18 so that explains my problem. I don't have control over updating, but thank you for the response. I will bring this up to the team and maybe we can upgrade sooner than later!

Is there a way to make the Hide/Show option more accessible? I cannot get initially hidden objects to work with a screen reader, are you aware of any workaround for this?